Favorite Movies of the 80s (fer sure!)
I grew up in the 80s watching these films. It was nice to reminisce.
13. Adventures in Babysitting (1987)- Chris Parker agrees to babysit three kids for the day. Against her better judgement, she ends up taking the kids on a wild ride to the city to rescue Brenda. Oh, there's a cameo by Thor. "Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues."
12. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)- Pardon my French, but only Ferris Bueller can fake an illness, watch a baseball game, eat in an upscale restaurant, sing at a parade, visit an art gallery, wreck a 1961 Ferrari and be home by 6pm. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
11. Pretty In Pink (1986) - Andie is from the wrong side of the tracks who falls in love with the rich and popular Blaine.
10. Cloak & Dagger (1984) - Davey finds himself in the middle of real-life espionage when he gets hold of a video game containing top secret data. Kim and Davey must run from the bad guys, relying only on themselves and imaginary hero, Jack Flack, to save their skins. In the end, Davey's very busy dad saves the day. "Jack Flack always escapes."
9. The NeverEnding Story (1984) - Bastian finds an old book with the story of warrior Atreyu and his attempts to save the land of Fantasia from destruction. With memorable characters like Falcor the flying luckdragon, the Childlike Empress, the sneezing turtle Morla, it's a fun adventure movie that promotes reading and imagination. "Fantasia can arise anew, from your dreams and wishes, Bastian."
8. Labyrinth (1986) - Sarah is asked to look after baby Toby one night. She inadvertently wishes him to the goblins using a spell from a book. She now has 12 hours to go through the Labyrinth to find the castle of the Goblin-King Jareth to save Toby before he turns into a goblin. "I can bear it no longer! Goblin King! Wherever you may be, take this child of mine far away from me!"
7. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) Airheads Bill and Ted go on an excellent adventure (surprise) with man from the future, Rufus, in a phone booth. They go back in time to meet some of the most notable people in history and bring them to the future to pass their oral exam. "Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes!"
6. Romancing the Stone (1984) - Romance novelist Joane Wilder finds herself in the heart of Colombia to save her sister. She is saved by low life Jack Colton while dodging bullets, bonding over a mudslide and sailing the rapids in a car. "What did you do, wake up this morning and say, today, I'm going to ruin a man's life?"
5. Dirty Dancing (1987)- Set in the 1960s, Baby and her family attend a resort for the summer. She falls in love with sexy dance instructor, Johnny, and learned how to dance. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."
4. Beetle Juice (1988) - Adam and Barbara, a dead couple, find themselves haunting their house in order to scare away a family who has moved in. They ask people exorciser Beetle Juice for help. They end up saving the family and sending Beetle Juice away. "I'm the ghost with the most, babe."
3. Top Gun(1986) - Maverick is a Top Gun Naval Flying School student with an attitude. He tries to be the best fighter pilot but is shadowed by his father's alleged mistake. "I feel the need, the need for speed."
2. Back to the Future (1985) - Marty McFly goes back in time to save his crazy professor. He ends up dating his mom, scaring his dad and making them fall in love. He goes back to the future and turns his life around.
1. Karate Kid (1984) - New kid on the block, Daniel, is trying to fit in. He falls in love and is bullied by the a gang of Karate champs who make his life hell. Mr. Miyage agrees to teach him Karate through various home improvement projects like painting the fence. "Wax on, wax off"
The 80s were so great that I couldn't limit my choices to just 13. =)
The Last Starfighter
The Princess Bride
The Muppets Take Manhattan