Friday, September 26, 2008

And She's Off

My sister is flying in an airplane and jetting off as I am typing. She finally got her Norwegian visa two weeks ago and now she is off to Norway via Amsterdam.

For the past few weekends, we have been going around town buying things for her trip. We scoured the local vintage shops for bubble jackets, long-sleeved shirts, anything thick to keep her warm for the coming winter months. We hit the jackpot after only two weeks of hunting with a soft brown bubble jacket with faux fur trim hood which we got for a steal at Php 150.00!

Of course, with every mall hit, we'd eat like crazy. Takuyaki balls, siomai, rice toppings, baked zitti. She has also been eating grilled bangus consistently. My budget has been somewhat strained because of our escapades since I have two kids in tow. And Kuya eats a full meal on his own, sometimes with mandatory dessert.

A couple of months ago my sister was at the crossroads of either going to the U.S. or Norway. Although it was the road less traveled, I suggested that she try it out in Norway. She can always opt to go to the U.S. any time she wishes. My reason was that Tina, her best friend, and her family are there to take good care of her. Yes, we do have relatives in the States, but I've seen how Tina and her family treats my sister. She will be staying with her second family, so it's still home away from here.

The sad part is, aside from her being gone for a few years, is that we won't be able to go to Norway whenever we feel like it unlike in the States. One good thing, though, is that I might be able to lose a couple of pounds with her gone.
I'll miss you, little sister. No more weekend food trips and storming the buy 1-take 1 vintage shops. I know you're in good hands, but yes, I'm still crying. See you in the little box soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whew! norway is very cold during the winter I think

I have a friend who married a Norwegian and she requested that they transfer to Belgium becuase Norway is such a lonely place daw... except sa major cities

but, the good thing as you said, is the family who will be taking care of her...

you're such a sweet elder sister :-)